This time I made a new pair of dragon horns, I did another pair for a demon last year, tutorial here. But the method this time was a little different. But still very simple.
For the scaling effect I just tore long strips of newspaper and glued them on layer by layer starting at the tips. Only a glue gun was used at this stage.
Here you can better see the "scaling" effect from the paper strips.
The horns were painted a black base color (gesso). Remember to paint under the scales as well, this will also lift the scales a bit upward.
Then we have a brown base color.
And every scale was first shaded with a darker brown and then every tip got dry brushed with gold paint.
The first time I used them I attached them to a head band, but the next time I attached a single hair clip to each one (crocodile clip) so they could be attached to the wig as I pleased with out having to conceal the headband.